Submitted by Chris Bretones [a.k.a. Awesome Roller Derby Ref for the Naughty Pines Derby Dames!
What You Need:
- 1 8-ounce sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 Jar of cherry jam (it exists, I promise)
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 cup of bittersweet chocolate chips
- ¼ teaspoon of almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What You Do:
- Heat oven to 375° F. Unfold your thawed sheet of pastry onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (Foil will work if it’s all you have but parchment paper is better). The pastry sheet should be between 9-11 inches square
- Smooth out the creases in the pastry where it was folded so the face is as smooth as possible. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but the smoother you can get it the less likely it is that your finished pastry will end up in sections
- Using the tip of a knife, score a 1-inch border around the pastry without cutting all the way through. Brush the border with the egg white and sprinkle with the granulated sugar. Bake until golden and puffed, 18 to 22 minutes.
- Meanwhile, with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the cream, almond and vanilla extracts, and 2 tablespoons of the confectioners’ sugar and beat until fairly whipped. Set the mixture aside in the fridge. Hopefully your pastry’s done baking so you should probably take it out of the oven.
- Using the tip of a knife, rescore the border of the cooked pastry without cutting all the way through. Gently press down on the center of the pastry sheet to flatten it. Now you have a cool, pan shaped pastry shell. Let it cool to room temperature, for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- While it’s cooling, melt ½ cup of the chocolate with 2 tablespoons of the cherry jam and stir it together until it’s smooth. I use a double boiling technique, which lets me mix the jam and chocolate while it’s all hot and melting.
- Bring the whipped mixture back out. Whip in the cherry-chocolate mixture til it’s completely mixed in. This is now delicious mousse. Taste it. It would be awesome to eat all by itself with a spoon. But we’re taking it further. So stop eating it. Seriously. Stop. You need that stuff for the next step.
- Pour the mousse into the nice big square hole you made in the pastry, and spread it until it’s flat and touches all the sides and corners inside the pastry shell.
- Remember that awesome melted-chocolate-and-and-cherry-jam stuff you made to make your whipped stuff into mousse? Make more of that, using another couple tablespoons of jam and the rest of your chocolate. This time add a time bit of cream once it’s melting and stir it til it’s melted and smooth and just looks like melted chocolate. Smell it. It’s going to smell awesome. Take that awesome stuff and drizzle it all over the pastry. Now refrigerate it until it’s cold and then eat that stuff. Eat it all.