This recipe is brought to you by Vanessa Armstrong. This recipe serves 4.
What You Need:
- 4 strips of bacon (save the drippings)
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1 small onion or 1 shallot
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup diced cauliflower
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni
What You Do:
- Boil enough water to cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Fry or bake the bacon strips until brown and crispy, set aside and reserve the drippings.
- In a medium saucepan heat the bacon drippings (you will need at least 2 Tablespoons, supplement with butter if there isn’t enough), add the flour and whisk until combined with the bacon drippings. Cook on medium heat for about 1 min.
- Add the milk to the saucepan 1/2 cup at a time, whisking to mix and remove clumps in between additions.
- Turn the heat down to medium low.
- Add your dijon, paprika, and chili flakes, stir to combine.
- Slice your onion or shallot in half through the root (so that is stays together), add this and your bay leaf to the saucepan.
- Heat the sauce for about 10 mins on a gentle simmer until it has thickened.
- Remove the onion or shallot, and the bay leaf and discard.
- Take the sauce off the heat and add the cheese, stir to combine.
- When you add the pasta to the boiling water, add the cauliflower in the final 2 minutes of cook time. Strain the pasta and cauliflower and add to the sauce.
- Crumble the bacon into the mac and cheese, serve, and enjoy!